Thursday, March 31, 2016

5 REASONS TO SERVE OTHERS


Dishtowel Ministry 

I love dishtowels. I treasure the ones my mother and grandmother stitched with cute kitchen designs – hand designed and made with love!  It’s been 39 years since my bridal shower and I treasure the gifts of dishtowels I received as a new bride.

My favorite are the plain large white flour sack type.  These are the ones I use every day and they have nothing on them but stains.  They hang in my kitchen pantry ready for service at a moment’s notice.


Then there are those I keep for company. They are the pretty ones. I use them to line or cover a bread basket or I drape them over a serving table to add color and beauty. These have their own special storage spot.  I keep them away from the main kitchen area because I don’t want them used to wipe up spills or get stained.  I want to keep them nice!


When Christ washed the disciples feet. He used a towel of some sort that might possibly have resembled a dishtowel.

 “Jesus poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him.”  John 13:5

By washing feet Jesus was setting an example and telling us to serve others.
Reading John 13 – I discovered some things that that will help us to work at serving others.

·        Serving Others Might Be Necessary
In Bible times, people walked through streets of dirt, sand, and mud. There was a need for feet washing. Sometimes we need to serve others because they have a genuine need and we are the means that God has planned to fill that need.

·        Serving Others Might Require Humility
Washing people’s feet in Bible times was common but usually a servant did the duty. In these verses it was Jesus who was washing the disciples’ feet. Jesus humbled himself at every opportunity. We are supposed to serve others with humility. Nothing or nobody should be beneath us to offer the gift of service to someone in need.

·        Serving Others Might be a Dirty Job
Serving others isn’t always comfortable. I don’t imagine the disciples had pleasant smelling feet for Jesus to wash. Many were fishermen! Just think of those smells – my first response is EWE — YUK!

·        Serving Others Might Require Our Complete Attention
When Jesus washed the disciple’s feet He didn’t do a half-hearted job. I’m sure he got all the dirt off and washed them with tender loving care. When we serve others, we need to put our best efforts into it as well.

·        Serving Others Might Take Time
Jesus didn’t just wash one of the disciple’s feet, he washed them all. He took time to care for each and every one. When we serve others, it will take an investment of our time.

CONCLUSION

I’d really like to work harder to follow Christ’s example in the area of serving others. How about you?

“If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.” John 13:14

Are you using your best dishtowels when serving others?



Scripture References are from the New Living Translation
Blessings on your day! 
Beth
 

No comments:

Post a Comment